Friday, April 13, 2012

A Horror Story

So in honor of Friday the 13th I am deciding to share a story from our high school days.  For some reason our group of friends thought that one summer we should rent and watch a bunch of crappy horror movies-I believe Scream had just been released and everyone was feeling a bit surly and charged-but I had had enough of crappy horror movies one Friday night and went out and bought Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.  We drove over to Jennifer Brickle's house and the gathering was quite small for some reason I cannot remember; there were six of us and if memory serves correctly the attendees were the aforementioned Jennifer, Kimberly Hunstead, Jared Albrecht, Kimberly Brusch, you and me.  I know that I had bought the movie prior to this screening but I can't remember if we drove out and bought it that night.  I do remember popping in the VHS(that's a video cassette for you kids keeping score at home.  It's how we watched movies as teenagers before everyone decided to watch them on their iPhones) and sitting in Brickle's basement as the movie unfolded before our eyes.  I remember you sitting on her couch and being thoroughly freaked out by the twins and the elevator of blood and all the RED RUM talk and "Here's Johnny," and the general insanity of it all.  So much so that when we left her house and hopped into my 1987 white Chevy Nova hatchback at one o'clock in the morning, you proceeded to sit in the passenger seat and verbalize how disturbing the film was and how it "freaked you out."  Now Tyrone, GA has some of the finest roads that the state has to offer, relatively poorly lit if you are on a back road and they are known to be curvy.  Which explains why I did not see that deer running through the field on my passenger side trying to get to the wooded area on the other side of the street.  Now if you hadn't been so preoccupied with how thoroughly "freaked out" The Shining had made you, you might have been able to warn me.  As it was I hit a poor little doe at about 60mph and her poor little head met my passenger headlight with gusto.  Dark red blood across a white hood, her body recoiled and whipped around slamming the passenger side door.  I'll give this to the Nova-she handled like her muscle car ancestors of old, barely flinching as she mowed down that innocent deer. 
"AAAHHHHH!  OH MY GOD! Is this really happening?" you exclaimed.
"My Dad is going to be so mad at me," I offered aloud because this was the second car that I had hit with a deer that year.  Bewildered we kept going and I dropped you off at your front door not ten minutes later in stunned silence.  
I hope you have a wonderful golden birthday!!
Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment