Saturday, April 28, 2012


Happy, happy birthday Tatum!

I'm a bit late in writing, but having looked at all the memories that people have been sharing, there are a few that I just couldn't keep to myself. 

1. I remember meeting up with you in our little slice of America in the middle of London - Chipotle, baby! And how funny it was that the Americans all seemed to have flocked to this tiny restaurant in the middle of an exciting foreign (ish) city. You could tell that they were all Americans, because they all were eager to talk to us and half of them were wearing US college sweatshirts. Fittingly, our burritos cost twice what they would have at home. Oh, England. 

2. One of my favorite memories from my too-short time at Canvas was a Thursday game night, when a girl I had been spending some time with was somehow convinced to come and play Bang with us. She was nervous - you could tell. She didn't quite know how to act around 'Christians,' so when something didn't go her way in the game, she suppressed a swear word. You smiled at her at simply said "This is Canvas. You can let the fucks fly." It was hilarious, and instantly relaxed her. I was so grateful to you for making her feel comfortable. 

3. Last but not least was the night of our team goodbye dinner. Thanks to some extenuating circumstances, it was only me and Prill left in Selly Oak, but you guys still gave us the extra special treatment and raised dozens of toasts to us for the great memories and impressions we had made. My favorite - and the one I come back to again and again in my mind - was when you raised a toast to my parents, praising them for being the kind of awesome people who raise kids like us. It meant so much to me that someone else could see just how great my folks are. Thank you, Tatum, for being so compassionate and genuine. 

xx Hattie

No comments:

Post a Comment